Accelerated Reader is part of Woodbury's comprehensive reading program. It does not replace a reading series or other instructional materials; rather, it supports and enhances them. Each year, all students, grades 1-6, take the STAR reading assessment online to determine his/her ZPD range. Once their AR level is determined, students read books of their choosing that have a reading level in their AR range. When students have completed reading their book, they take an AR quiz at school. Points are earned based on the their quiz scores. Students earn prizes as they accumulate points.
AR Testing Guidelines
- Quizzes may be taken in the classroom, POD, or media center with teacher supervision during school hours and in the AR Testing Center after school with librarian supervision until 3:00 PM. The AR Testing Center is closed on Wednesdays.
- Testing is available after school only in the AR Testing Center. All students must line up outside the AR Testing Center doors and wait for permission to enter. Students must enter the AR Testing Center from outside the building.
- Please note that parents may not help the child, talk to them while they take a test, and must remain outside the building.
- Students must take the quiz without the book. If a student needs to know how to spell the title to look it up in AR, students should write it on a piece of paper to bring with them.
- Students should read items carefully to ensure they are taking the correct test. Students should only take the reading test, not vocabulary.
- Students may only take the test one time for each book.
- After students start a quiz, they must finish it. Students cannot move on to another book's quiz until they do. Students should be sure they have finished reading the book before they take a quiz.
- The window for AR Testing is August 7, 2017 through May 11, 2018. Only points earned between these dates will be counted towards prizes and awards.