To get the most out of Open House, I would like to suggest the following tips for parents to follow as you participate in our Open House program on Wednesday, May 24, 2017:
- Ask questions. If something said by a school employee, or something you see is unclear, ask your child’s teacher or the principal for clarification.
- Make sure you meet your child’s support teachers and staff such as speech teachers, educational specialists, and science lab teachers. Feel free to visit other areas of the school such as the computer lab and library. It might be helpful to become familiar with the facilities offered at our school.
- Encourage your child to join you. He or she can serve as a helpful aide in guiding you through the classroom and the school. It gives your child a chance to show you their hard work and accomplishments.
- Expect a lot. If you cannot find evidence of what the teacher has been teaching all year and what your child has been learning, probe for details. The purpose of Open House is for the school to share with parents what took place throughout the year.
- Learn how you can get more involved. Research tells us that greater parent involvement leads to greater student success.